Fibroid Treatment Collective
Facing Surgery?
Find out if UFE is right for you.
CLICK HERE
or call
(866) 362-6463

Period After Uterine Artery Embolization

March 15th, 2010

What will my period be like after UAE?

In most cases, women that under UAE will have significantly lighter periods.  Embolization does a wonderful job of ensuring that the symptoms prior to having the procedure are pacified quite markedly after the procedure. Therefore, women that have the procedure can feel secure in knowing that those painful and abnormally heavy periods will no longer be the case after the procedure.

In some cases, however, some women may experience irregular periods from anywhere between 3 to 6 months.  The chance of this is below 1% for women under 40 and about 10% for women over 45. Hormonal changes that may lead to period irregularity after a hysterectomy appear to be a bit more common than after UAE. Additionally, there are a few rare cases in which women have experienced early onset of menopause.  However, early menopause is quite unlikely  and in most cases has only occurred in women approaching the typical years of menopause onset.

Overall, UAE is often the procedure of choice for most women due to a quick recovery period of only 5 to 7 days and its ability to completely eradicate irregular period symptoms. The procedure is less invasive than other traditional procedures and has the ability to get you back on your feet and back to your daily activities in a short period of time.

To learn more about fibroids and the embolization procedure, please feel free to contact the Fibroid Treatment Collective at 866-362-6463 or request a free phone consultation.  We are always more than happy to provide you with useful resources and help you make positive choices for your help!

7 Responses to “Period After Uterine Artery Embolization”

1. mercy hodey says:

What is the cost of Uterine Artery Embolization in the US?

2. beth says:

Due to the varying health conditions among patients, it is not possible to provide a fixed cost for the embolization procedure. However, the cost of UAE is generally accepted by all insurance providers.

However, to learn more about UFE and whether it is the right choice for you, please call 866-362-6463. One of our health professionals will be able to answer your questions regarding UFE and can do a quick insurance verification check if you are wondering whether UFE is covered under your insurance provider.

3. Lynne says:

I had a UAE 13 months ago for severe hemorrhaging after delivery, I have had extremely heavy periods every since. Should I be worried? Or am I an exception to the norm?

4. Samantha says:

I had a UAE for hemorrhaging after an ectopic pregnancy had implanted in the scar of my c-section. The embryo was sitting on a major artery and when I miscarried, the artery was severed. I bleed for about 2 months after the UAE and then my periods were erratic and very light for the next year. I got pregnant about 20 months after the UAE and had a very uneventful pregnancy and delivered a healthy baby girl via planned c-section at 38 weeks. I’m having my first period post-pregnancy (baby’s 10 months old) and it’s really heavy. So, who knows? You might be the exception to the norm.

5. kimberly says:

before my ufe surgery my period was coming every 3 weeks! so just had my UFE 7DAYS AGO And everything went greeat! the first day i had alot of nausea but never vomitted.i did catch a fever for about ten min that was weird..the next morning i felt great .once i left hospital i picked up my meds and my cramping started back up and only webt away with meds! 7days after surgery my period was supposed to start so im attributing these cramps and slight spotting to my period starting so hopefully after this week i will no longer be cramping…

6. kimberly says:

oh the reason for having my UFE was for heavy bleeding! last nov. 2012 i was hospitalized. for low hemoglobin count which was a 4!!! my iron was so low !needless yo sau i had to get blood transfusions4pints and 3iron injections! today my hemoglobin is over 23 God is Great! so i had biopsy to rule out cancer D&C. to remove a benign polyp.but the main priblem fir my bleeding was for uterine fibroids the biggest one size about a small orange but both were inside my uterus..i was very scared because i did not want a hysterectomy because my ovaries are good .so googled everything i could and beggeged my Dr. to put me on lysteda..and it did nothing to stop bleeding !i was scheduled for hysterectomy and 1week before i cancelled it !andschedulede Uterine fibroid embolization which im soooooohappy i did 7 days everything is great and started my 1st perod:))))))))its light and cramping is bearable but i still took a vicadin since i got em might as well use them..good luck to who ever gets this surgery..so far soo goid for ke

7. kimberly says:

ny hemiglibin is over 13 not 23 sorry typo:)