Fibroid Treatment Collective
Facing Surgery?
Find out if UFE is right for you.
CLICK HERE
or call
(866) 362-6463

Calcified Uterine Fibroids

January 28th, 2011

What is a calcified fibroid?

Uterine fibroids are one of the common benign gynecologic tumors, affecting many women mostly in their child-bearing age. At this time, the etiology is unclear but there are several theories that have been speculated including genetic predisposition and the affect of estrogen/progesterone levels.

Calcified fibroids develop when the fibroid tumor outgrows its own blood supple, resulting in a process of degeneration. As this degeneration occurs, the process initiates calcium deposition, leading to calcification. There is an increased likeliness of this calcification process to occur during menopause as fibroids tend to regress after the estrogen drop during menopause.

Symptoms of a calcified fibroid may vary with position and size, as with ordinary fibroids. However, there is a much reduced severity of pain since the calcified fibroid signifies that the fibroid is no longer growing. Pressure on the area of the calcified fibroid may lead to constant waist pain, usually made worse during menstruation. Because the calcified fibroid is formed during the end stage of the degenerative process, there is no real reason to “treat” the fibroid.

19 Responses to “Calcified Uterine Fibroids”

1. Hello ,

I had a unterine embolisation done in february 2010 . I did an ultra sound two days ago and it showed that atleast four of the fibroids are calcified but a large one of 13 cm is not calcified . I need to know what can be done and what really is happening to me

2. Marie P says:

Dear Stacy, I am curious to the answer for your posted questions about your experience w/UFE and why after an ultrasound you found out that you have calcifications of fibroid and another one still active. This is disheartening. I am about to undergo a UFE in four days. I would appreciate your response. Thanks Marie

3. Laine says:

Hello, I read Stacy’s post with interest as I also had UAE, in 2008, for multiple fibroids. I had a intravaginal scan today that showed the fibroids are still there, but smaller and calcified. I am experiencing similar pain (in my back) that I had before the UAE and therefore do not believe the UAE was completely successful. I am at a loss as to what to do now and would be grateful if any women who have similar problems can let me know what can be done. Many thanks Laine

4. Vickie says:

I have been struggling with this pain for 9 years now. I’m so sick of doctors who recommend a UAE (the most painful thing ) and then it does no good. I’m so sick of Drs ordering blood tests and then leave me a message that says “Well, everything’s normal, so you’re fine”! I’m so sick of the pain and so sick of drs who say “I don’t treat pain”. I say “Well I’m here because my pain is so bad, so what the heck?!” And the Dr says “We ll we can run soe tests….” I walk around work hoping I won’t actually fall down in pain. I sit on the roilet and cry out from the pain. Are there ANY Drs out there ANYWHERE? NINE YEARS I’ve been looking and trying.

5. NancyG says:

I have had fibroids for years and no one would touch them (backlash from the “old” days when hysterectomies were performed willy nilly to remove fibroids.) Now several fibroid tumors have calcified, are pressing on my bladder, intestine and sciatic nerve. I’m in constant, excruciating pain (when not on opiates). My only hope is surgery. Alas, unlike “normal” fibroids that can be removed laparascopicly, calcified fibroids can not, so I’m in for the full abdonimal cut and the attendant extensive recovery, etc.
    My advice: get your fibroids “taken care of” before they calcify. Don’t believe them who say calcified fibroids are “no probem”!

6. am says:

I had UFE in 2002. I have had nine years with very normal periods.
    Last year I was told I had a large calcified fibroid. [from the UFE] I too had an ultra sound to confirm.
    Calcification only means it is in the last stages. I have done research and been assured that you do not need to do anything, [about the calcified fibroid] unless you are having problems.
    I would definitely recommend UFE instead of a hist. any day!
    I hope this helps.

7. Barb R says:

I had UAE in Jan 2009. I felt very relieved immediately and at the time I was very happy I did it. There was some pain at that time but nothing to be concerned about. By the 3rd day, I was fine. Feb 2010 the symptoms were back. I had another UAE preocedure done in May 2010. I had no pain at all??? There was no clear answer as to why but there was relief from the pressure. March 2012 symptoms are back but different. I could clearly feel the large fibroid on my right side (size of a grapefruit) and was very concerned. I consulted a different doctor in Boston that said that is was calcified from the procedure but did not reduce along with 2 smaller ones.
    This large fibrod is pressing into my bladder and I will have to have it removed in October. It is like a rock now.
    If I was getting this procedure done, I would want to discuss this with your doctor since now I have to have surgery to remove it which I thought I was avoiding with the UAE procedure.

8. Wendy C says:

Marie, I had an embolization ten years ago. It stops the blood flow to the fibroid, but doesn’t make it disappear. If you have multiple fibroids, they may not all be affected by the embolization. However, the procedure stopped my bleeding, and the largest and most serious of the fibroids has now calcified.

9. Robin says:

Hi Ladies,

I had the UFE procedure in July 2007 and until recently had no problems at all. It appears that my fibroid has calcified and “GROWN” a few cm which it is not supposed to do. I had a pelvic ultrasound a few wks ago and lately I have been having pain in my groin area and my Dr. says he does NOT know if my pain is caused from the Calcified fibroid or an old back injury. This whole ordeal is so frustrating. The Dr. says its my choice to leave the fibroid in or remove it.

10. Debra says:

I had UAE about 14 years ago when I was 40. It did help with my symptoms for many years. About 2 years ago I started with the bloating and back pain. I was miserable. I just endured it hoping everything would get better after menopause. On November 1, 2012 I couldn’t take another day of the pain, etc. I was scheduled for a davinci robotic assisted hysterectomy on Nov. 20. Well, many of the fibroids had calcified and were like rocks. They had to do a total abdominal hysterectomy. It was a long recovery, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. I feel so good. I am a new woman! Please ladies watch those fibroids. I believe my pain was from all of the fibroids had died off. If you have large fibroids and they bother you get them out.

11. sara says:

the contrasting opinions are confusing– I have a uteus the size of 5 mo pregnancy and one doctor says this is huge, another says it is not uncommon in women over 50! I have a fibroid 14 cm one direction- most doctors say hysterectomy (is v uncomfortable), and to avoid calcifying as then if I need it removed as the woman earlier said, it is a much more xtensive procedure. others say chances are it will calcify and not continue to bother you. there is an online video from HERS Foundation on hysterectomies and their unfortunate results. but the fibroids so far continue to grow and grow… dual port procedure now is simplest not possible if calcification causes problems …

12. FTC says:

Hello Sara. I know it can be confusing with varying opinions on fibroids and the right treatment. Dr. McLucas has treated fibroids with embolization on large fibroids. It can bee successful. The doctor would be happy to talk with you further, at no cost of course. Please feel free to contact us at 866-362-6463 or send an email to info@fibroids.com. Best of health to you.

13. Char says:

Hi everyone, I have a couple very large calcified tumours (baseball/grapefruit size) in my uterus. I am 43 years old. About 10 years ago I had a lot of pain with them and then my body went through an episode of “red cell degeneration.” OMG it was so painful…lasted a couple of weeks and they wanted to remove my uterus. I fasted a few days in the hospital and it started to go away (I could feel my body was healing). I even started to get contractions as though my body was about to attempt in expelling them, but then it stopped. Since then, no pain just need to urinate more often than you’re average person. The calcification is your body’s way of healing it and encapsulating the tumour. I’m so glad I kept my uterus now. The body does have it’s own way of healing. I would urge people to check out EarthClinic.com in regard to natural healing of fibroids….lots of good info on that site!

14. MandyC says:

I had UFE in 2005 and was very much persuaded in that direction. I was only 32. I have since had two miscarriages and as a result have been told by my current Consultant that had I wanted children I should not have had UFE or even been offered it. 3 out of my 6 fibroids were calcified the three largest being together about 17 cm long. I am now recovering from an open myomectomy as a result which is my last ever try at having children. But I have been told the scar tissue along with reduced blood supply from UFE is a long shot. I am hoping that at the very least the pressure in my abdomen and on my bladder will be released when I heal properly. But if I could turn back time I wouldn’t touch UFE with a barge poll. It didn’t do what the doctors told me it would do and here I am nearly 40 having lost two children as a result.

15. Liza Baxter says:

I am 79 years old and just recently learned that I have three calcified fibroid tumors totaling 10cm…. A friend sent me this website which has already been very helpful, just knowing that I’m not alone in this. My abdominal pain has been occurring off and on all day every day for some time now. I will continue reading your comments. Thank you for all of your input.

16. chichi says:

I started bleeding heavily at a young age of 20, I have 2 kids, d first pregnancy cam with many problems but at d end had the child thru C- section. But for the second pregnancy I didn’t have any problems but as at then several scans showed that my fibriods have all calcified. What am sayin is dat the clarification of my fibriods is gud fir me coz I don’t bleed as heavily as bfor and my period lasts for only 3 days and coms every 27th day, don’t experience any back or waist pain but d frequent printing still continues. Don’t remove ur fibriods when its not disturbing u

17. Tanika mosley says:

I had my uterus removed after having a UFE a few years back my tumors grew back calcified my left side hurt I was constantly bloated having my uterus removed was the best thing keeping a tumor which is not normal in you is not right the tumors are living and breathing in you so why not have a partial hysterectomy before they become cancerous

18. FTC says:

Thank you for sharing Tanika. Choosing a successful treatment option is different for every woman and sometimes UFE isn’t enough. We’re glad to hear you’re doing so well.

19. FTC says:

We’re so glad the site is helpful for you, and no, you are not alone! Please feel free to contact us directly with any questions at 310-208-2442 or send an email to shawna@fibroids.com. Best of health to you.