Fibroid Treatment Collective
Facing Surgery?
Find out if UFE is right for you.
CLICK HERE
or call
(866) 362-6463

Signs of Fibroid Degeneration

February 19th, 2011

How can I tell if my fibroid is degenerating on its own?

Uterine fibroids are non-cancerous tumors that arise on the muscle of the wall of the uterus, cervix or ovary. Roughly 40% of women develop fibroids, causing fibroids to be a great public health concern. Some of the symptoms of fibroids may include: urinary incontinence, pelvic pain and pressure, and excessive pain.

When the fibroid is degenerating, pain is the most common symptom. The process of degeneration usually occurs when the fibroid grows so large that the blood vessels “feeding” the fibroid can no longer supply it with oxygen and nutrients. The pain of a degenerating fibroid is often localized at the site of the fibroid and can last up to two weeks.

Another type of degeneration of the fibroid, however, is known as necrobiosis and typically occurs during pregnancy. In addition to symptoms of pelvic pain, necrobiosis may cause a fever and a blood lab may indicate an elevation of white blood cells. Not as often, but still likely during degeneration, a patient may witness bleeding.

If you suspect that you are experiencing fibroid degeneration, visit your doctor to ensure that you receive medical attention. To find out more about fibroids or the Uterine Fibroid Emblizaiton procedure, please contact the Fibroid Treatment Collective at 866-362-6463 or by requesting a free phone consultation. Additionally, you can find us on Twitter @fibroiddoctor and on Facebook at facebook.com/fibroids.

Have a comment or question about this post? Scroll down to post a comment to this blog or Click here to ask your question.

12 Responses to “Signs of Fibroid Degeneration”

1. Degeneration can seem very scary during pregnancy-especially if it is accompanied with bleeding. Of course, it’s vital to bring this to the attention of your doctor quickly, but thankfully, in most cases this settles without intervention, but monitoring is really important.

2. REHEMA says:

HI DR BRUCE, PLEASE DIRECT ME TO ONE OF YOUR CLINICS IN AFRICA OR ASIA WHERE I CAN RECEIVE EMBOLIZATION.KINDLY REPLY.THANK YOU.

3. FTC says:

Hello Rehema. We currently do not have a clinic in Africa. Please ask your doctor if he has a recommendation. We’ve heard of hospitals in large cities in Africa with radiologists performing the procedure. If you have some questions we can answer or would consider coming to the US, we can speak with you over the phone or by using Live Chat, especially if you live outside the US. To chat live, click on the purple Live Chat button on the left of your screen. You can also contact us directly at 310-208-2442.

4. Chidi says:

I have just had a scan and told it has signs of a degenerating fibroid.

What does it mean and what is the side effect?

5. FTC says:

Hello Chidi. This article might answer your questions on Degenerating Fibroids: http://www.fibroids.com/news-blog/2011/02/signs-of-fibroid-degeneration/

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact our office at 310-208-2442 or click on the purple Live Chat button to chat with a healthcare professional.

6. Meena says:

Hi sir, i am 20 weeks pregnent having subserosl fibroid of 660cc. Its very paining. Sir kindly suggest what i need to do to reduce pain and to prevent degeneration.

7. lyn says:

hello, i have two lager fibroid, i started having pain in area i have fibroid for almost a month and my faces is strong when i feel the pain.

8. Kakali says:

Pls. pls suggest.
    Presently I am having severe pain since 19march 13 uncontrolled by combiflam 3/day,i’m using crocin500mg 2/twice a day,trypotomer10mg 1 at night

USG-Pelvis it showed:1/11/12
    1.Uterus bulky & measures LS 12.9 cm,TS 9.6 cm,AP 8 cm
    Myoma present sized 6.5cm X 6cm
    Ovaries normal (RO 2.7 cm X 1.3 cm X 1.5cm

On 21st Nov’12.I had my embolisation by Dr.Sukalyan Purakayastha of INK,but from 22ndDec’12,I started profusely bleeding and had tremendous pain and still now ,I’m having pain,I have to take 3 Combiflames a day,after 12 days change it Paracetamol 1gm 3 tabs /day.
    I had to stop bleeding 2Pause500 & 2Regesterone 3times/day for 7 days then Regesterone and Pause’s dose has been reduced to 1 Regesterone/day from Jan 22nd.

Presently I’m having shredding off of Myoma,now the size is 4.8cm X 5.3cm only(previously it was 6.5cmX6 cm )

But I’m having tremendous unbearable pain which is uncrottolable by medicine.
    Presently 5/4/13 My Condition is:
    uterus measures 12.4 X 8.3 X 6.7 cms anteverted bulky.
    Intramural Lesion sized 4.4 X 3.3 X 2.6cms ill defined with hyperechoic central areas of necrosis in posterior wall of upper uterine cavity.Another smaller 3.3 X 3.1 cm well defined hypoechoic subserus left fundal fibroid no vascular flow is seen.Central endometrial echo is regular and 7 mm thick uterine cavity empty cervix is normal.
    Impression:bulky uterus with smaller degenerating intramuralfibroid in posterior wall of upper uterine body extending into submucosal region of uterine cavity.

So Dr .Piya Roy ,Gynae is suggesting me for Hysteractomy for permanent solution.

Degenerating means is it going towards septism.Or inspite of severe pain I can tolerate if it can be solved by medication.
    From 3/4/13 I’m taking Ceftum 500 twice/day and metrafyl 400 thrice/day
    combiflame for pain sometimes changing with paracetamol1000mg

9. FTC says:

Hello Kakali. So sorry you are experiencing pain. In order for us to help, we’ll need to get more information from you. Please contact us directly via Live Chat (purple button on the left) or by sending an email to info@fibroids.com.

10. dedun says:

hi doc,

i’m 37 years old. i had a fibrod ops last year april 2012. in feb 2013, i had to spend the night in the hospital due to degenerating fiboids. now i feel a bulk under my tummy on the left and right sides. will a hysterectomy help stop the fiboid nightmare. Also after my periods, i have to keep wearing pads because theres a lot of junk coming out, its not the period, just blood stained remnants that goes on till the next period. the report calls it a degenerating cysts. what are these and what can i do to solve and get rid of them? are they life threatening?

11. beth says:

Hello,

We can definitely help you to better understand your individual health situation. Please give us a call at 1.866.362.6463 or request a free phone consult here.

Best,
    FTC

12. Kaye says:

I am very happy to have found this site. I am three weeks removed from an abdominal myomectomy and doing well. Prior to surgery my doctor and I use every method possible to negate the procedure as I had fibroids (in all four positions of the uterus) and no children and do want them. However the painful cramps and heavy bleeding were becoming unbearable. During the procedure 15 fibroids of various sizes were removed. During my follow up visit she informed me she informed me she was glad we went ahead and removed the fibroids because they were beginning to degenerate. A term I’d never heard of related to fibroids. NOW I can only infer (minus medical degree) that the pain I experienced prior to surgery was indeed the fibroids going into regeneration. I am sorry those of you who are expecting have to contend with that type of pain while pregnant. Pain brought me to my knees a few times so I can imagine the scares and concerns. God bless and keep you all!