Fibroid Treatment Collective
Facing Surgery?
Find out if UFE is right for you.
CLICK HERE
or call
(866) 362-6463

Pain Associated With Uterine Fibroids

September 29th, 2011

Fibroid PainA significant number of women that have fibroids often experience common symptoms that can hinder their lifestyle and daily activities. These symptoms include: frequent urination, pain during intercourse, constipation, heavy bleeding, abdominal bloating, abdominal pain and/or back ache. The pain that is often associated with fibroids is often overlooked due to a lack of knowledge or by simply dismissing the issue as unimportant. Additionally, the pain that may be associated with some fibroids vary in intensity, leaving it up to the individual to gauge whether the symptoms are affecting daily activities and quality of life, further needing medical attention. At any rate, in the event that the pain is affecting one’s daily life, it is necessary to seek medical help.

The pain caused by fibroids can be caused by several different factors. Some women with fibroids experience painful periods, dull aches in their thighs, back pain or constant pressure in the abdominal area that feels like bloating or fullness. These pains each point to a different warning sign noted by the body. For example, pain during a menstrual period may be common for some individuals, but for some with fiboids, this pain may be due to large clots of blood pushing through the cervix. Cramps can also be caused by the uterus trying to force out, or contract, a type of fibroid called a submucosal fibroid which can grow on a stalk in the cavity of the uterus.

Additionally, large fibroids can make the uterus big, leading to lower back pain or pelvic discomfort. Some women with fibroids experience a dull ache in their thighs or develop varicose veins in their legs. This can happen when fibroids become so large that they begin to press on nerves and blood vessels that extend to the legs, causing immense pain and discomfort in the legs. Results and experiences differ from woman to woman; however, it is important to note that if one experiences a sudden change in cycle, pain measure, or if there is a presence of abnormal symptoms, consulting a physician or Ob-gyn is advisable.

Uterine Fibroid Embolization is often a preferable method of treatment for women because it is not only a less invasive approach to more traditional methods of fibroid treatment, but because it also rids patients of their symptoms immediately. Pain associated with fibroids also dwindle within a short period of time after the procedure.

If you are experiencing symptoms associated with fibroids or if you are aware that you have fibroids and would like help, please give the Fibroid Treatment Collective a call at 866-362-6463. You may also request a FREE consultation with Dr. Bruce McLucas. Fibroid Treatment Collective is more than happy to help you get back on track to being fibroid pain-free.

18 Responses to “Pain Associated With Uterine Fibroids”

1. katanya drayton says:

i have had ufe done in 2009 but my symptoms are still severe is there any other procedure for fibroids

2. Jodi says:

Hi Katanya. Have you had any recent imaging to show what’s going on with your fibroids? There may be something other than fibroids causing the pain. It is possible that a laparoscopy, or hysteroscopy may be necessary to determine what is causing the pain. Your doctor may want to start with an ultrasound to determine what is causing your pain.

3. Joan says:

Can fibroids cause continuous pain? I have pain through out the month; at times I cannot even get out of bed or walk.

4. FTC says:

Hi Joan. The pain and discomfort varies throughout the month. Some women experience greater pain during their menstrual cycle, but yes, some women have pain and cramping outside of their menstrual cycle. There are different types of fibroids, and depending on the size and location they can cause back and pelvic pain, discomfort, constipation, and urinary frequency. It could also be a sign that your fibroids are growing. Please contact the office for a free telephone consult 866-362-6463. We are available Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 6pm (PST). We are here to help!

5. Kande says:

I realy have all the pains associated with fibroid but can not go throygh surgery. What a yu advising me. Am in nigeria what kind of help can i get

6. yonette says:

Hello I am facing a surgery because if the size of my fibroids. the UFE sounds good but unfortunately i cant afford that

7. FTC says:

@ Kande – Sorry about the troubles you are having. Unfortunately, we don’t have any contacts with doctors in Nigeria. You may want to ask your doctor for a recommendation on treating your symptoms. For UFE, ask about an interventional radiologist.

@ Yonette – Many insurance companies cover UFE. Costs for treating fibroids, whether by UFE, myomectomy or hysterectomy can be daunting if you do not have insurance. Out of the 3, UFE tends to cost less, especially when factoring in longer hospital stays and recovery time.

Sorry for the delayed response. We have had some issues with replying to comments on the blog, but that has now been corrected. If you have more questions, click on the Live Chat button on the left side of the page and we can speak with you directly. Best of health to you both.

8. ada franklin says:

the fibroilds i have hurt me a lot . i had a lot of test run and then say it the fibroild . what can you take for it

9. FTC says:

Hi Ada. We are so sorry you are having to deal with fibroid pain. The best way for us to help you is to discuss your specific situation by phone or chat. The doctor gives free consultations to new patients and you can also speak with a health care professional on our staff. You can do so by calling 866-362-6463 or by starting a Live Chat (http://www.fibroids.com/contact-us/chat).

10. Meeta says:

Dear Jodi,

My dr. has confirmed that i have uterine fibroids a year back and had suggested i remove my uterus, as there are few more fibroids and inevitably in two years, i would have to undergo surgery for them too.
    My symptoms are :

Pain in the pelvic region, vegina and rectum. slowly that pain moves towards my legs from my thighs. There is a constant discomfort on my buttocks, my thighs and shin. these pain become acute during the night.

History :
    My periods were always painful and thus i have been neglligent to this symptom too, but periods have become acute with time.

Awaiting your response.

Thanks,
    Meeta

11. FTC says:

Hello Meeta. The best way for us to help is to schedule a free phone consultation with Dr. McLucas. We don’t want to miss any details, and this gives you more opportunity to ask questions. You can call us directly 310-208-2442 to schedule the call. Best of health.

12. abi says:

I believe that woman should try natural treatment for uterine fibroids some time it will work and some time it wont. there is nothing worked with trying natural treatment at first what if it does work well then you can put off surgery for a year to a couple of years.
    natural treatment for uterine fibroids

13. Julie says:

good afternoon,

I recently found out that I have at least 5 fibroids one is which is quite large. In the past 6 months I have started premenopausal sympstons all well. I have severe cramping and pain going through my legs which can lasts for days, but I don’t get my period. The physician put me on low dose birth control tablets. Does this help at all? I’m 46 and never liked the pill t start with —- not sure if I’m being directed correctly as the premenopause symptoms don’t really bother me but the constant severe pain does? Please any advice would be greatly appreciated.

14. FTC says:

Hello Julie. We’re sorry to hear you are struggling with fibroids. As every woman is different with the symptoms she presents, we feel you would be best served to get advice after thoroughly discussing your condition and symptoms. The doctor does offer free phone consultations. Please call our office at 866-362-6463 (310-208-2442) and we’ll be happy to arrange an appointment. Best of health to you.

15. Tesa says:

I experience what I would label as a 10 on the pain and I consider myself very tolerable of pain, I was brought to tears by the most excruciating pain I’ve experience since having fibroids. I’m scheduled for a hysterectomy/fibroid removal in July (the earliest they could take me) the most inconvenience I experienced is the heavy bleeding using monthly in a day a total of 22 overnight purple pads.. that is generally day two. I use the super long for the other days I need to change on the hour, Or I’ll have multiple accidents this has been my biggest complaint, bu this pain which literally knocked me out. I was in bed all day sleeping weak in the legs to walk and wasn’t able to eat until about 9pm.. So it ;asted all day and the next day the pain alleviated and I felt just sore as I do today, I took one aleve but what caused the pain.. I also had a fever and chills for the entire day.

16. brenda clemons says:

My daughter just had her second baby two weeks ago. She has a twenty three month old also. My daughter is thirty nine years old with promblems with high blood pressure, She is experiencing pain in her right side that does effect her legs and walking. My question is should she go to the hospital or is this the norm in her condition and age. She does have a rather lRge fibroid.

17. FTC says:

Hello Brenda. We apologize for not getting back with you sooner. If you felt like the situation was urgent, then you should certainly seek medical help right away. Otherwise, we still recommend you contact a healthcare provider to have your daughter checked out. If we can be of any help, please let us know by calling (866) 362-6463. The doctor does offer free phone consultations and he would be happy to talk with your daughter.

18. FTC says:

Hello Tesa. Unfortunately, your story is one we hear way too often in women that have fibroids. The pain and bleeding can be very overwhelming, making day-to-day life very difficult. You mentioned you have a hysterectomy scheduled for July. If that is still the case (and we apologize for the late response on this), and you are interested in exploring Fibroid Embolization, we would be happy to speak with you. The doctor does do free phone consultations. At the very least, you can get a second opinion and perhaps get help much sooner than July! You can reach us at (866) 362-6463 or send an email to shawna@fibroids.com. Best of health to you.