Fibroid Treatment Collective
Facing Surgery?
Find out if UFE is right for you.
CLICK HERE
or call
(866) 362-6463

Fibroids and Your Sex Life

January 25th, 2012

Protect Against Heart DiseaseYou have been diagnosed with fibroids and immediately your mind starts racing with questions. How did this happen? What does this mean in terms of your health? What is going to happen next?

First, take a deep breath and relax, uterine fibroids are not cancer and they do not increase the possibility of cancer. It is only on rare occasions that fibroids actually transform into cancerous growths. Uterine fibroid tumors are benign lumps that grow on the uterus of most women, most often during childbearing years.

Typically fibroids do not cause any symptoms and therefore do not need any form of treatment. Usually your doctor will unintentionally discover the fibroids during a regular pelvic exam because most women are unaware that they even have this condition.

At any rate, sometimes these fibroids can produce some uncomfortable symptoms like discomfort, pelvic pain, or increased menstrual bleeding that can interfere with your sex-life. At times, fibroid symptoms may be present, but women are unaware that the cause is uterine fibroids. Another such symptom is the loss of libido. Suddenly sex is painful and not worth the struggle or you just don’t have a need for it.

With Valentine’s Day peeking around the corner, the last thing you want to come in between you and that special someone are your fibroids. Not to mention, Valentines Day is about love, right? Who better and more capable of providing you with the right amount of love and affection than yourself? In the spirit of the season, treat your mind and body by tending to your health and treating your fibroids.

First things first, do not ignore sudden changes that occur in your body because these changes could be the sign of a deeper issue. Make sure to set up an appointment with your gynecologist to discuss these symptoms.

One explanation for the pain is the size of the fibroids. Large fibroids can produce pressure in the uterus and can cause intercourse to become painful. Additionally, when benign fibroid tumors grow in the area of your cervix at the end of the vaginal tract, they can make penetrative sex highly uncomfortable for women.

The aforementioned cervical fibroids can either press on the cervix or actually hang through the cervical opening, making it exceedingly difficult for women to enjoy sexual relations. To make matters worse, fibroids growing in this area can also result in bleeding during sexual activity.

Another explanation for the loss of interest is your hormones. Even if the fibroids are of smaller size they can impact your life. The small fibroid tumors can cause hormonal imbalance between estrogen and progesterone, which, in turn, creates the loss of interest in sex.

The key to reclaiming your sex drive and making sure that you’re back up to speed for the “season of love” is to research your options and talk to your doctor about finding a medical option that is best for you.

One such option that is appealing to most women due to its advantageous qualities of being safe, effective and having a speedy recovery time is UFE. It requires no major surgery and the recovery times with UFE are dramatically faster than with hysterectomy or myomectomy, both of which require abdominal surgery. Many women resume light activities in a few days, and the majority of women are able to return to normal activities within seven to ten days. Choosing UFE as your fibroid treatment can allow you to be back on your feet and looking forward to a romantic day filled with endless possibilities in no time.

If you have been diagnosed with fibroids or suspect that you may have fibroids, feel free to give us a call at 866-362-6463 so that we may schedule you for a FREE consultation with Dr. Bruce McLucas. By taking advantage of this consultation, you will allow yourself the opportunity to speak one-on-one with the doctor himself, discussing treatment options and deciding whether UAE is a viable option for you.

26 Responses to “Fibroids and Your Sex Life”

1. Pretty says:

I once had fibroids I was operated eight years ago, I want to Know or have a check up about it now but my problem is that I reside in South Africa, will it be possible that I can have means of seeing the doctor because as far I can figure out He is far I america and I can see that He can help me a lot. Please help me.

2. Tatlhego Christina Gaokgethelwe says:

Do you have a clinic in Africa?

3. molianth says:

Hello, i have been diagnosed with uterine fibroids. i live in Nigeria and desire to have kids. i and my wonderful husband love kids(our neighbours kids always come to our house cos they love being with us) we want kids. how can i be helped?i have no intention of going thru surgery.

4. Sharon says:

That was me. What I’ve been lying to myself about is that these are fibroids when I do think it is worse—no pain for one–what do you think

5. FTC says:

Thanks to everyone for posting to our blog. Fibroids can be such a nuisance to women – often becoming painful and uncomfortable and sometimes leading to other complications. The treatment option women choose is so important and there are many factors that surround such an important decision.

To best help everyone, we recommend you contact our office via Live Chat or by calling 1.866.362.6463 for a Free Consultation with a healthcare professional.

We currently do not have a clinic in Africa. However, our healthcare professionals at the FTC often see patients that travel – even all the way from Africa. Click here to learn more. If you are unable to travel, try looking for an Interventional Radiologist that performs embolizations or ask your doctor for a reccomendation.

6. Thandi says:

Hi i did surgery in 2009 due to fibroids.now they are back i feel it and i can see how they are affecting me.iam always tired cant do any thing with no boyfriend cause i just hate intimate.i don`t feel any thing when he touches me and sometime i see when they say you must wait untill you get married.he won`t uderstand he question me about the operation saying did you loose you give birth through sugory.it kills me becouse i don`t have even one child,it`s like i; hiding kids.sometime i just don`t know why i`m still breathing,thise fibroids affected me mentally and emotional.please Dr help me0794069232

7. FTC says:

Hi Thandi. So sorry that you are having such troubles. Fibroids can really cause havoc in a women’s life, especially when it comes to intimacy and having children. We would like to talk with you further to help. You can visit our site and then click on Live Chat (purple button on the left) to talk with a healthcare professional or call 310-208-2442. Dr. McLucas does give Free Phone Consultations as well. Best of health to you.

8. Lori Vaughn says:

i have a fibroid that is located under the cervix what treatment is best for this the doctor says that we have to get a endocmetric biopsy before the fibroid can be treated is this true I just want it gone in the easiest way

9. margaret says:

I discovered i had fibroids after a miscarriage 2yrs ago. Just curious if there are any non-medical treatments available like acupunture, diets, supplements or even hormonal treatments? I also read somewhere that dairy products may contribute to their growth. Thanks in advance for your advice.

10. FTC says:

Hi Margaret. So sorry to hear about your miscarriage. Because fibroids are affected by estrogen levels, estrogen inhibiting therapy is sometimes used, but it is only effective for a short period of time. A low fat, high fiber diet may slow fibroid growth,
    but may not alleviate fibroid symptoms. There is not a lot of scientific evidence to support claims that a particular diet, food or herb treatment will cure fibroids.

We hope this helps. Our Fibroid Special Report also has lots of great information. You can download it at:

Best of health to you.

11. FTC says:

Hello Lori. The best way for us to help and perhaps give a 2nd opinion is for you to contact our office directly. Dr. McLucas does offer free phone consultations. You can reach our office at 310-208-2442 or click on Live Chat to speak with a healthcare professional.

12. Bruce Frazer says:

Hi,
    Ever since my daughter discovered that she had devleoped Uterine Fibroids, I have been doing research on this issue. Could someone tell please point me in a direction to where I could read about any new treatments available for women who suffer from Fibroids. Thanks, Bruce

13. FTC says:

Hi Bruce. Fibroid Embolization is a non-surgical fibroid treatment your daughter may be interested in. You can read more about it at http://www.fibroids.com/the-embolization-solution/uterine-fibroid-embolization.

Dr. Bruce McLucas (great name :-) ) does offer free consultations – over the phone or in office. If we can be of any help, please feel free to call us at 866-362-6463.

Best of luck.

14. Shariffah says:

I am currently an American citizen living in Italy recently diagnosed with a benign tumor on my cervix. I can get surgery in Italy at full cost to me since im not a citizen or I can fly back to The States to seek help. I just want to be sure I can have children and its not going to turn into cancer later. I am only 30 years old. How can you help?

15. FTC says:

Hello Shariffah. I think the first step would be to schedule a free consult with Dr. McLucas. This way, he’ll be able to take a history and perhaps look at any tests you’ve already have done. After that, he may be able to give you a recommendation. You can contact us by phone at 310-208-2442 or via Live Chat at http://www.fibroids.com/about-ftc/chat.

16. Kparham says:

Hi….I have 4 fibroids. 3 inside my uteruse and 1 on the outside. Eveytime I have sex I have some bleeding. How can this be treated?

17. therks says:

Is it safe for thee man to have unprotected sex.with a woman with fibrobs

18. Shandy says:

I did surge in 2007, to my surprise ,same sintums ,find it grows back I don’t want to remove my uterus .rof this procedure what shod I do

19. Brithney says:

Hi I was diagnosed by my with fibroids. I recently been trying to conceived but there’s been no luck. I wanted to know if the fibroids have anything to do with me not conceiving. And how can I get them remove without having surgery

20. salma says:

can a marena be inserted for excessive bleeding when you have small fybroids

21. Ligaya Alvarez says:

I was diagnosed that I have a 17 cm fibroid.The doctors told me to have an operation.But I dont like to be operate.I dont have any bleeding and pain.What is the second option with this 17 cm fibroid…thank you

22. JUMA says:

Many thanks Drs. for the delivery of worth education on Uterine Fibroids
    My wife have been operated Uterine Fibroids about a month ago and she is fine, she is working and she is health, is it possible to have sex at is time?

23. Cristie Love says:

Hi, I have been living with Fybroids for more than a few yrs now & it really does not interfere with my sexual life much. But, I am thinking about making an appointment soon
    because sometimes little pieces of the Fybroids comes out after intercourse. My mate thinks he is doing damage to my cervix, he doesn’t know I have it & I do want him to know & worry about it while in the middle of business. Lately I’ve been getting some pinching inside on my pelvic area so.it could mean that is probably bigger now. Any suggestions?

24. Can Fibroids come from rape? MY sister has fibroids.

25. FTC says:

Hello Christie. The best way for us to help is to speak with you directly. The doctor does offer free phone and in-office consultations. You can contact Shawna at 310-208-2442 or send an email to shawna@fibroids.com. Best of health to you.

26. FTC says:

Hello Cozette. No-one knows exactly why women get fibroids, but there is a link between uterine fibroid tumors and estrogen production. Fibroids can grow very large during pregnancy, when estrogen levels are high, and can shrink back down after pregnancy.